The process of formation and development of Thai Binh province
Thai Binh is a coastal province in the Red River Delta, with a natural area of 1,533 km2 and a population of over 1.9 million people. Thai Binh land is formed mainly by sedimentation from two big rivers: the Red River and Thai Binh River, together with dyke embankment, sea encroachment by many local generations. Around the 6th and the 7th century BC, the first inhabitants from the foot of Mount Ba Vi, Tam Dao and valleys, midland in Phu Tho, Son Tay gradually moved into coastal marshes of Red River area. By the early centuries of Christian mythology, most of Thai Binh land had been reclaimed and restored, forming concentrated areas of residents with a diversified, bustling life.
On March 21, 1890, the Indochinese government issued a decree on the establishment of Thai Binh province, including Thanh Quan, Thuy Anh, Dong Quan, Truc Dinh, Thu Tri, Vu Tien, Tien Hai, Phu Duc, Quỳnh Coi (belonging to Nam Dinh province) and Than Khe district (in Hung Yen province). In the sixth year of Thanh Thai (1894), two more districts including Hung Nhan and Duyen Ha (belonging to Hung Yen province) were brought back to Thai Binh. At this time, Thai Binh province, as an independent administrative unit, consisted of three authorities (between provincial and district level): Tien Hung, Kien Xuong, Thai Ninh and 12 districts: Duyen Ha, Hung Nhan, Tien Hung, Thuy Anh, Dong Quan, Thai Ninh, Quynh Coi, Phu Duc, Thu Tri, Vu Tien, Truc Dinh and Tien Hai.
Decree 152 of the Governor-General of Indochina on the establishment of Thai Binh province (French text and Vietnamese translation provided by Archives Branch, Thai Binh Department of Home Affairs).
After the Revolution of August 1945, on April 10, 1946, the provincial People's Council decided to restructure the province with no authority level between districts and province. The whole province then had 12 districts, 1 town with 829 communes and villages. The number of districts and towns had remained unchanged until peace was achieved (1954) and later. Only the boundaries of the districts changed for the purpose of convenient transaction and management.
On June 17, 1969, the Council of the Government issued Decision 93-CP on the unification and adjustment of the boundary; accordingly, Thai Binh had 7 districts and 1 town. In 2004, Thai Binh Town was recognized as a provincial city (according to Decree 117/2004 / ND-CP dated 29 April 2004 of the Government). In addition to small change in the boundaries of several districts and cities due to the expansion of the city's boundaries, up to now, most of the districts have not changed substantially.
Thai Binh - the lower land of the Red River always has both favorable and difficult situations. It is the advantage of a life with opportunities to gain new land which is the product of the fertility of nature. It is also a wilderness with endless dangers, challenges such as thunderstorms, floods, droughts, marshes and wild animals. Through the process of facing the harsh weather, struggling against raging enemies to improve the swampy, salty, full of weeds land into fertile fields, Thai Binh residents soon formed good qualities with many proud traditions: hard-working and brave in production, good at conquering and improving nature; experienced in intensive farming; having profound national cultural identity with own nuance and unique. Thai Binh has various traditional handicrafts and is famous for its traditions of fondness for learning, patriotism, anti-foreign aggression, struggling against powerful forces and reactionary feudalism.
Although the province was established later than other provinces of the Northern Delta, but with the tradition of the land of brave people, Thai Binh has been growing up and catching up with other provinces and cities in the region and in the whole country.